The world Heritage city of Polonnaruwa, just an hour away from Sigiriya village by Drive. Polonnaruwa is one of the great ancient civilizations around the world. By seeing once it looks like a destroyed city. As some of the old structures are completely destroyed, only the roots are left. The archaeological park expands in 22 kms of area. It’s delightful to explore with hundreds of ancient structures, Tombs, Temples, Stupas, and Statues In a core.
The city is close to the Habarana village with Plenty of good accommodation and Bicycle to Hire. This is a perfect location to spend your day and to understand the Importance of Polonnaruwa in Lanka’s History.
This Heritage city is so big that you actually need a complete full day to see everything, This City starts from the Polonnaruwa Museum and ends somewhere near the Habarana highway.
There are many travel agents that provide the full day city tour across this world heritage city with English speaking guides. But you don’t need to worry about as many travelers exploring this heritage site by itself. The heritage city expands in 22 kms of area, All you need to do is hire a Bicycle once you reach the Polonnaruwa. For renting a Bicycle you may ask for your Hotel/ guesthouse concerned person they will help you to hire one.
HERE ARE THE 30 PHOTOS OF WORLD HERITAGE CITY OF POLONNARUWA
ADVICE FOR VISITORS BEFORE EXPLORING THIS WORLD HERITAGE CITY
- Visitors are allowed to visit this Polonnaruwa Heritage city from 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM
- After 05:00 PM visitors are prohibited from remaining within the area.
- Highly recommend hiring a Bicycle or MotorBike to visit the city, you may contact your Hostel/guesthouse concern person for Renting a Bicycle.
- Entrance tickets can be purchased from Polonnaruwa Museum.
- The entrance fee is 25 USD and SAARC Nation people can buy it with Half Price, just need to show their passport at the counter.
- You can visit Polonnaruwa on the same day from Sigiriya. From Inamaluwa Bus station, Board on the bus going to Kaduruwela.
- Please do not use plastic/ Polythene within the Heritage city, which is both an archaeological reserve and an environmental sanctuary, Please put all waste items /Garbage into the bins provided.
- Harming, Removing, carrying away, Despoiling, and writing on monuments or archaeological sites are strictly prohibited.
- Do not walk on the brick wall, monuments, etc.
- Do not feed food to animals (especially Monkeys).
Please let me know your queries regarding this Amazing Heritage city. if you had already explore this site, please share your experience with me, I would love hear from you Guys.
Thanks for Reading